ugg chestnut short February 3rd 2015
The body believed to be that of Mr Hamm was found in bushland at Dergholm last Thursday, which is about 130km north of Nelson on the Victorian side of the border. The accused Mark James Moreland, Christopher Nathan Tippins and Tai Thorp were listed to appear in court on Friday, February 13, after being found guilty of the lesser charge of manslaughter. The trio were charged with murder following the brutal kidnapping and bashing of Mr Hamm, 34, on the Nelson Bridge in July in 2013. In Supreme Court proceedings in Melbourne on Friday, Crown prosecutor Michelle Williams SC said there had been a major development in the matter. “On January 16, the crown was contacted by Mr Johns (Mr Tippins counsel) . to indicate that or convey the message that both Moreland and Tippins wished to liaise with the police as to where Gordon Hamm’s remains might be,” Ms Williams said. “That then set off a set of circumstances whereby police went to speak to both Moreland and Tippins.” The prosecutor said an informant went to speak to them with maps and a location was identified. She said Moreland was then taken from custody to the location and he “led them to where Gordon Hamm’s body was located”. Ms Williams said Mr Hamm’s body was due to be forensic examined today and a report by a pathologist FALL FROM GRACE: Gordon Hamm. SCENE OF THE CRIME: The bridge at Nelson where Gordon Hamm was abducted. would follow. While telling the judge Mr Hamm’s body was yet to be identified, she said investigators were “pretty confident” it was his body. Justice Michael Croucher agreed to vacate the current plea date and instead fixed a new hearing date of March 26 and 27 to give the Crown more time to gather information. During the four week trial in December, a string of witnesses from Mount Gambier and Nelson were compelled to give evidence. Despite the three accused admitting they took part in a joint criminal plan to ambush Mr Hamm and beat him, the jury did not deliver a murder verdict. According to details that emerged during the trial, Mr Hamm was a passenger in a vehicle late at night Motorcycle gang steers clear of Mount Gambier for meeting LEON RADEMEYER IT APPEARS the Hells Angels motorcycle gang avoided the South East at the weekend, changing the venue of a planned national annual general meeting from Mount Gambier to Adelaide at the last minute. This comes after police met with concerned Mount Gambier business and community leaders late last week in an effort to allay community fears regarding the prospect of having around 150 Hells Angels roar into town for their scheduled meeting on Saturday. Police reassured people at the meeting that Mount Gambier would have an increased police presence ready to deal with any situation if problems arose. “The venue for the planned event was changed from Mount Gambier to Adelaide, where some members of the group gathered,” South Australian Police Serious and Organised Crime Branch Detective Chief Inspector Kym Hand said yesterday. “The rest of the group went to Western Victoria for the weekend.” Police have been involved in an ongoing operation targeting the Hells Angels in the Limestone Coast since December last year. During a two day swoop in the region in December, police seized drugs and firearms. The seized drugs included significant quantities of methamphetamine, cocaine and cannabis. Five people were arrested and have appeared in the Mount Gambier and Millicent courts on various charges. 232703 649731 The Border Watch, Tuesday,
February 3, 2015 3 when he was blocked by two vehicles on a bridge. During the hearing, the trio admitted dragging Mr Hamm from a vehicle on the Nelson bridge and beating him. Police discovered blood, a broken vehicle light, a drug deal bag, Mr Hamm’s ugg boots, a trigger guard, rifle stock and a damaged bollard at the scene, which was used as key evidence in the prominent trial. DNA from the three accused men and gunshot residue were found on various items. Witnesses claimed they heard Mr Hamm “squealing like a pig” and gunshots echoing from the scene. The prosecution alleged the accused may have dumped Mr Hamm’s body in a plantation and torched the vehicle used in the crime. Meanwhile, the defence team claimed the trio did not kill Mr Hamm and they handed him over alive to the Finks Motorcycle Club. The defence barrister also claimed there was not a sufficient trail of blood NEWS 3 Carpark offender remanded LEON RADEMEYER A MILLICENT man remains in custody after appearing in the Mount Gambier Magistrates Court yesterday afternoon following his arrest earlier in the day for allegedly threatening a woman in her vehicle at a supermarket car park. Shane Ashley Wall, 29, was not asked to plead and was remanded in custody for a bail application on February 10. Wall was arrested for aggravated assault after he allegedly entered a woman’s parked car outside the IGA supermarket in Millicent’s George Street. left at the scene to prove murder. Defence barrister Theo Kassimatis representing Moreland said the prosecution had not “disproven” the theory Mr Hamm was handed over to the Finks Motorcycle Club. The defence also claimed there was insufficient blood left at the scene at Nelson to prove homicide. During his closing argument, Mr Kassimatis said the blood at Nelson was consistent with a “bloody nose, a cut lip, a cut brow”. The barrister said what happened to Mr Hamm remained unclear. “He was handed over (to the Finks) and we don’t know what happened to him,” he said. Although conceding Mr Hamm was bashed at the Nelson bridge, he said he was not killed by Moreland. He said the three co accused were not at Nelson with “murderous intent”. The woman was seated in her car at the time of the incident and was allegedly threatened by the man. She fled from her vehicle, went into the supermarket and raised the alarm. Police acted on information and went to an address in Milicent, where Wall was arrested. He was refused police bail and taken to the Mount Gambier Magistrates Court. Wall was in the news in December 2013 when he set his pants alight while smoking and siphoning fuel from a vehicle at a car dealership in Millicent. Three cars were destroyed in the blaze, causing over $100,
000 worth of damage. He was sentenced to 12 months in prison with a non parole period of seven months in July last year.